Dog owner returns to kennel to find her pet inside a python
A pet owner in Caniaba, near Lismore, Australia, wanted to take her pet dog for a walk. Unfortunately, he was busy on a lunch date, inside a python.
The dog’s owner approached the kennel to let her Chihuahua-Maltese cross off its chain and found a 50-year-old carpet python in the kennel with a large bulge in its body and the dog’s chain hanging from its mouth.
More from the Sydney Morning Herald:
Volunteers from the Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service (WIRES) were called to the home in Caniaba, near Lismore, on Thursday morning and arrived to find the 2.5-metre snake still lying in the kennel.
WIRES Northern Rivers secretary Sue Ulyatt said the volunteers cut the chain and observed the python, which is about 50 years old, for 24 hours to see if it would regurgitate the chain.
However, when it didn’t, the python was taken to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, where it would be examined by a veterinarian to see if it would require surgery.
Wildlife officials speculate that the python strangled the dog before swallowing it whole and estimated such a meal would sustain a python for about a month. Which has to be great for snakes on a tight budget.
Python in the dog house after eating family pet [Sydney Morning Herald]